Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Morning Rant-Grocery Etiquette

This is for the elderly gentleman in the Langley Commissary this morning, who apparently was in SUCH a hurry to get through his 9am produce shopping in an uncrowded store that he felt it his duty to comment on the placement of my child-filled shopping cart. I believe his exact words as he pushed by me angrily were, "Gee, thanks for blocking the WHOLE aisle!" I feel compelled to call attention to his uncouth behaviour.
You sir, are a discredit not only to your gender but to your years. For shame, that you could not be bothered to utter a simple "excuse me", yet you have the breath to waste on a snide and cutting comment. Which you made in front of my children and several other men, ALL of whom looked embarrassed by your actions. It is a certainty that if one of them had been in front of you, those words would not have left your mouth, instead you probably would have just moved their cart aside to make way. And speaking of making way, that is exactly what I WAS doing, making way for the stockperson to finish unloading the fruit I was trying to purchase. My aim was not to make everyone behind me look for another route, but to try to help a fellow human being. Which is something you ought to try to do more often. Oh, but I suppose it's easier to be a misanthropic chauvinist and tell other people where to go, then rush off to avoid being confronted. Please keep your scathing remarks and snap judgements to yourself. Stop doing such a disservice to the rest of the wonderful, elder generations that possess the warmth and social graces you so obviously lack. Yours sincerely,
Young, Mixed-Race Mother in the Grocery Store

2 comments:

Jean Martha said...

This is exactly why I shouldn't have kids. I would ripped him a new...

Well, you get my point. My fiance teases me that I am TOO polite...until someone is rude to me. Then I rip their head off and shove it elsewhere.

:)

sarah said...

Thanks! You're probably similar to R, who is very polite and nice to stupid people, then goes off the deep end over some disrespect. And you are probably right, it does come from having children and getting less personal time. R sometimes looks at me funny and says, "You know you used to be so nice and quiet, but since the boys came along you've become so RUTHLESS." Ha ha, that's me, totally without RUTH.