Thursday, May 31, 2007

Push On, Push Off....

Guess who is now the proud owner of 51 assorted push-button switches, matching switchplates, and outlet covers? I really feel proud of my latest Ebay foray, this seems like quite a find after researching the cost of reproduction switches. Total with shipping came to just over $125, or about $2.50 per component. Lucky me, I have the in-house electrician to dissect and repair any worn parts. Hopefully this purchase will help with whichever house we end up with! And any that don't end up being used on our house can go right back on Ebay for another old-house addict to snap up. Many of the switches have MOP or bakelite button faces, and the brass plates should look spiffy once cleaned up. I think there's even some sort of dimmer switch in the lot, should be interesting to sort through. Supposedly these were all salvaged from an early 1900's house. Poor house, but all the better for me! And now some pics of my new treasures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow is that a find. I love when I see the old push-button switches (ours are already all updated, but a girl can envy).

sarah said...

Thanks! I'm glad to see someone else embracing the details. I don't know if I would have dared get them, but the hubby says they are pretty easy to repair and install (for him, anyway). So I splurged!

sarah said...

They just arrived!! I am on Cloud Nine, looks like all but one switch will be fully functional, that one has a crack running all through the ceramic box. I will have to check with R to see if it is fixable. Yay, me!

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

Nice.

My house was originally equipped with standard (what is the proper name for them, anyway?) switches, as evidenced in my bathrooms.

The old switches, whatever variety, have very satisfying action - a nice "kchunk" when you flip them or press them. As it is, I'm currently debating whether, when I update the wiring, I should be so much of a purist as to try to replace the existing replacements with new industrial or hospital grave switches, which have similar action, or replace them with old switches. I know, it's silly.

With regard to the old switches, I feel comfortable using the ones with the ceramic housings, but not the Bakelite housings. This is because I worry that the Bakelite housings will crack and cause a fire. I don't have any evidence whatsoever to base this upon, though.